Walk-in traffic is allowed for Motor Vehicle and Property Tax transactions only. It is STRONGLY advised to make payments for motor vehicle and property tax transactions by going on-line to www.iowatreasurers.org or by mailing payments to Winneshiek Co Treasurer 201 W Main St Decorah IA 52101 or by putting in the drop off box located outside of the courthouse. Additional fees apply to credit card transactions. E-check fee is .25 Credit Card fee is 2.25%
DRIVERS LICENSE TRANSACTIONS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
AT THIS TIME ONLY 3 PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED IN THE OFFICE AT ONE TIME.
Simple Drivers License renewals can be done on-line at www.mymvd.iowadot.gov
This is notice that the Winneshiek County Treasurer will not be conducting the suspended June 2020 Annual Tax Sale in the month of February 2021. The June 2020 Annual Tax Sale was originally suspended by Governor Reynolds' Proclamation of Disaster Emergency on April 24, 2020.
Section 98 of the Proclamation signed on July 24, 2020 says: Consistent with Iowa Code 446.28 the county treasurer shall have the sole discretion to determine if any tax sale in a county that was not held in June can be held in a particular month or must be further delayed.
Iowa Code 446.28 - Subsequent sale says: If for good cause, a parcel cannot be advertised and offered for sale on the third Monday of June or another date in June designated by the treasurer, the county treasurer shall make the sale on the third Monday of the next succeding month in which the required notice can be given.
Covid19 health risks that triggered the original proclamation still continues to raise health concerns for holding a tax sale.
VEHICLE TITLE TRANSFER INFORMATION
- Anyone buying a vehicle from a private seller needs to be sure they have the appropriate documents. This not only includes the properly assigned previous title and signed Iowa application, but also a SIGNED BILL OF SALE from the previous owner verifying the sale date, the buyer's identity, vehicle information, and the purchase price.
- If a buyer is unsure of the documents required, please contact our office for more information.
- Be aware that sellers who are not licensed or bonded often represent themselves on social media as "Dealers". Before a buyer takes cash to a parking lot to pay for a vehicle, we recommend the buyer asks for verification of all the proper information.
CREDIT & DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED
VISA MASTERCARD DISCOVER - A Service Delivery Fee will Apply
Registration & Proprerty Tax transactions:
Credit Cards - 2.25% per transaction
Debit Cards - $2.00 per transaction
Drivers License transactions:
Credit & Debit Cards - $1.50 per transaction
- Motor Vehicle and Property Taxes...........Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- ALL DRIVERS LICENSE TRANSACTIONS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
- Driver’s License..........................................Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
|Friday, April 2, 2021
|Monday May 31, 2021
|Monday July 5, 2021
|Monday September 6, 2021
|Thursday November 11, 2021
|Thursday November 25, 2021
|Friday November 26, 2021
||Day After Thanksgiving
|Friday December 24, 2021
||Christmas Eve Day
|Monday December 25, 2021
|Friday January 1, 2022
||New Year’s Day
Treasurer: Brenda Kreitzer
Stacey Darling Amanda Humpal
Nathan Onsager Dawn Hageman
Winneshiek County Treasurer's Office
201 W Main St
Decorah, IA 52101
The entrance is located on the West side of the Courthouse. An elevator and stairway is available for access to our office on the second floor.